Monday, April 21, 2008

"A Learning Experience"


Saturday was Jenna's bridal shower here for our side of the family and Jenna's high school and college friends. The house was wall-to-wall people, but still comfortable and she received some wonderful things that she and Joe really need. Kara and the bridesmaids put together some good eats, too.

My friend Marsha was here and the day before had picked up our pottery projects we'd done on Monday. I was excited to see mine since I was so pleased with how it turned out and wanted to see the finished product.


"How does it look?" I asked Marsha as she handed me the paper bag. She put her arm around my shoulders and gave me a brief look that had me wishing I hadn't asked. "Well," she said, "it was a learning experience." Oh dear. I wondered what that meant.

I opened the bag and when I looked at it, I understood. When I was putting the lettering on, I hadn't liked the position of the first 'S'. It had been painted in dark brown paint and I wiped it off as best I could with a wet paper towel and then painted over it with the beige paint. Oops! I accidentally hit the blue part with the brush, so I had to paint over that, too.

Those of you who have more experience in such things know that you can't just paint over a darker color with a lighter one. You have to completely remove the mistake or it will come through when it's fired. So, as a result, I've got two brown dots on the blue, and a shadow of an S where I don't want it.
But other than that, I really like it. And if I put it on my counter where I had planned and turn it a little to the left, you can barely see my mistakes. Just admire it from afar, okay?


10 comments:

Rose said...

I'm pretty impressed by your pot, mistakes and all--those are what make it unique!

Connie said...

Kylee, I think you did an awesome job on your first attempt...and what a cute idea! Thanks for the inspiration....I think I will label our change jar 'seed money'. :-)

Nancy said...

You know, I used to do greenware ceramics when I lived in a town so tiny it didn't even have a nail salon... I think I might want to do it again with your inspiration!

Carol said...

I LIKE the shadowed S; I think it looks very planned! I love the blue color!

Anonymous said...

I agree, the mistakes are what make it interesting.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think it looks great. It's those little imperfections that stay in the memomry the longest. You will always remember your outing with your friend.

Stacey Renee said...

Kylee, I haven't commented in a while, but wanted you to know I still keep up with your blog. I especially enjoy the pictures and entries about your cats. You have inspired me to designate a jar for "kitty money." We have talked about adopting another cat. What a great thing you've started! =]

Stacey

Shady Gardener said...

It's very cute. Whatever goes into it will never be as important as the memories you have from the making of it! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think it's adorable and who is going to get close enough to see the mistakes? I especially love the blue starting dark at the bottom and fading to the top. Nice job!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Love that blue colour, that is absolutely purrrrrrfect! And next time you know how to make shadowed letters if you want any. ;-)

blogger templates | Make Money Online